Friday, September 26, 2008

Who wants to be a Craker?

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Holy smokes.... This is a beautiful book. Oryx and Crake is the second book that I have read by Margaret Atwood. The first book of hers that I read was the Handmaid's Tale. I loved that book and treasured it. I savored every word. I reread pages as to fully lap up her words. I was nervous to read this book because I was so enchanted by Margaret after the Handmaid's Tale.

I chose Oryx and Crake as my second Atwood read because I knew this book had dystopian elements in the plot and I know my own affection towards books about utopian or dystopian society. Oryx and Crake did NOT disappoint.

This book starts out slow because you have no idea where Margaret is going in the first few chapters. However, knowing the beauty of her other book, I stuck with it because I knew where it went was going to be wonderful.

Long story short: Snowman is the watcher of the Crakers. Crake is Jimmy's (Snowman) best friend growing up and Oryx... well that is a funny story so I will let Margaret tell you. Crake is a genius (leaning toward Aspergers Syndrome) and pretty much decides that he is going to rule the world. The book starts at the end of this dystopian fantasy and we flip flop between the story of Snowman and Jimmy as we learn how the Earth got to be in this disastrous state. The story is interesting, smart and keeps the interest of the reader. Again, I read this so slow because I wanted to savor the story.

Now I will be immersed in Communication Theories as per my doctorate class schedule requires but I think there is more Atwood in my future.

I highly recommend this book as well as the Handmaid's Tale. I will post my old review of that book a little bit later when I am feeling more up to par.

PS I liked this book so much I am thinking about naming children/pets after Orxy and Crake. Either or haha :)

No comments: