Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shopgirl

Shopgirl is a great movie. I haven't seen it in so long. Today as I was getting ready for the gym and came upon this movie on the TV listings.

This movie makes me feel happy. Smiling on the elliptical happy. But the reality is that I watch the entire movie to feel the way that Mirabelle feels so that when the last monologue is said, it means something:

Ray Porter:
As Ray Porter watches Mirabelle walk away
he feels a loss.

How is it possible,
he thinks,
to miss a woman whom he kept at a distance so that when she was gone he would not miss her.
Only then does he realize
that wanting part of her
and not all of her
hurt them both
and how he cannot justify his actions except that... well...
it was life.

Shivers! I have watched this movie about twice in a year and a half. And each time that monologue makes me think of different situations and different people. Today it just made me smile.

No comments: